Har Ki Doon Trek Day-5


Har Ki Doon Trek – Day 5 – The Heaven on Earth

In this morning I was sitting in the sun’s virgin rays directly falling on the ground. After coming here, I realized the importance of sun in our day to day lives. I also realize that how fast the sun can rise and set in a few seconds.

In the morning, when sunshine was not yet arrived, water and air was extremely cold at 11250 feet. It becomes very difficult to come out in open and brush our teeth and wash our faces. As soon the sun comes, the first rays are warm enough to bring cheer to our faces and it seems every element, living and nonliving thing has become cheerful and come to life. In this cold morning, me and Businessman climb up the hillock for meditation overlooking the great valley.

After getting ready and having breakfast, our whole group along with the guides left for sightseeing without any load of backpacks on our backs. This was relieving. We went up along the river straight towards the Har Ki Doon peak. We went into the Hata valley after hiking for about an hour or so. This place was beautiful but strange in terms of very little vegetation present. The valley for most of the year is covered in snow and little vegetation grows. We could see snow melting and forming small streams which joins a rivulet to meet with much larger rivers.

Gajji instructed us on how to walk up, down and sideways in snow. In the beginning, almost everyone except Doctor was slipping. But, after the trick became clear every one of us could walk relatively faster in snow. Use your toes while climbing up and heals while coming down! We also went up to some height in snow and slide down which was entertaining seeing other do it.

Here, Doctor checked his watch and the elevation was +12000 feet. We felt proud of our achievement and congratulated each other for doing +12000 feet in our first trek successfully. With this many of us dreamed of crossing 14000, 16000, 18000 and further in future.

While coming back we were literally running as we had no load on our backs. Doctor still cautioned us to descend slow as it may put lot of pressure on our knees and cause pain. This advice I followed during the rest of the trek while coming back.

We reached our campsite by afternoon. Lunch was ready and we ate full. The remaining time was free till night and we had to leave back the next day morning. This time was boring as well as gloomy for me. I had nothing much to do. So, I sat alone on a rock and pondered over a lot many things. People were talking about how the world would have changed by now. We had no communication with external world since we left Sankri. I also wondered the same. I missed my family. I worried about the same life I will have to live when I go back.

I laid myself on a rock and had a short nap in the sun. Since, last one week we had no phone calls, we were completely cut off from the world.  I was thinking of home, parents and wanted to talk to them and know how they are doing. I was literally missing them. These seventeen team mates and Indiahikes staff were only our little world.  I feel human beings have infinite potential and there is a need to test it again and again to expand their limits.  Now, when I have completed Har Ki Doon which is the first step towards adventure in my life, I feel confident and crave for more.

In the night we had bonfire where we again played our favorite time pass game Dumb Charades  and went to sleep after having dinner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *