Applying for Basic Mountaineering Course at HMI Darjeeling: http://yadavmanoj.com/basic-mountaineering-course-at-hmi-darjeeling
Preparing for BMC
So, everything was going fine. I was preparing myself for Basic Mountaineering Course Batch 300. Daily an hour of running and exercising. Buying some necessary stuff and most important, I was mentally prepared to go and successfully complete it. I belive I have the ability to take any option chosen by myself or by fate in positive. So, I was all positive for the course. I was even ready to bunk office for one month and suffer any possible consequences arising out of it. But, I had to apply for transfer of vacancy in basic mountaineering course at HMI Darjeeling.
Why Transfer of Vacancy?
But like always and not so common, sanity prevailed and I talked to my boss to allow me a month leave for the course. He first asked me to discuss the same with his own boss but when I talked about how I was preparing for the course, he asked for a posibility to swap this course with any one in future because of the following reasons:
1. March i.e. end of financial year and thus more work pressure,
2. Time for commissioning of Unit#2 of our 600MW power plant under construction.
So, I agreed and sent a mail to HMI asking about the possibility. Then, after one week of waiting and a follow up by just a mail, they provided me a slot in BMC 303 which will be held in Sept-Oct 2014. The email even warned that now I won’t get a second chance to transfer my vacancy and I cannot ask for refund of my fees. I took it as my fate and am now making my mind for September.
Their are many positives of this:
1. I can prepare myself physically for the course much better then would have been in March.
2. I can go for a couple of treks less ardous. I am looking at Indiahikes for the same to get prior experience.
3. The weather will be a bit warmer in September than in March so better but precipitation is also high in September which may make it tough. Lets see its a give and take thing.
4. By that time our Powerplant will be almost completed so it wont be any problem to take a month long leave.
And the preparation continues…
So, I am back on my toes and ready to work it out. Lets see how it goes now. I am now able to run about 6.5 kilometers in 45 minutes and hope to make it better everytime I run. I am also carrying out some strength building exercises at home. In between, I am looking for some easy treks in Himalayas where I can go in March and June for a week or ten days and have prior experience because going for the course. Keeping my fingers crossed this time.
Read my experience of HMI Darjeeling Basic Mountaineering Course at: